Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Motivation From Your Own Personal Arnold

My very first 5K is just under 72 hours away! I hope I am prepared. I registered for the race a couple of days ago, so there's no turning back now. I just finished my run and the sun was just beating down on me. I usually run about an hour earlier than I did today, so I'm not used to so much heat. Thankfully the zoo run will be at 8am, so we should finish before the sun starts to heat up the pavement.

Today I ran 3.6 in 28:22, which is 7:53 per mile. That's an improvement of 27 seconds per mile from last time! Sweet. It was a tough run though. During my run I thought over and over again about stopping early, or taking a walk break. I wasn't sure if I could finish. One thing that kept me going was that I knew that if I finished my run that I could use that experience the next time I felt like quitting. I would be able to tell myself, "Look, you know you been here before. You wanted to quit, to stop and whine like a baby about how hard it is, but you didn't. You kept going and you finished. It's hard, but you can do it because you've done it before." After a few of those experiences you begin to trust yourself when the tough side of your conscious (the one that looks like a tiny Arnold Schwarzenegger doing bicep curls on your shoulder) says you can do it.

Well, that's my life lesson for today. Until next time...
"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about." -PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

No comments:

Post a Comment