Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Preparing For My First 5K

I've decided to run a 5K in May.

I've been training since February 15th, 2010. To be honest, I was inspired to do so while watching the Winter Olympics and seeing Apolo Ohno run. I thought, "That looks fun." Isn't that what most people think when they are about to begin some sort of exercise program? I was also thinking that it would be a good way to get into better shape than I was in at the time (I've always wanted a six-pack). I like the challenge of it as well: how far, and how fast can I go? Another thought that lured me was the simplicity of it. I mean, all I need is myself and a pair of shoes to run in (after some research I've come to realize that there is much more too it, though there doesn't have to be).

It is now March 15th, and I have completed just over 2 weeks of my training. I haven't really stuck to schedule but I have stuck to the content of the 8 week training program I'm following. This program is supposed to gradually prepare a new runner for a 5K (3.1 miles) in 8 weeks . It combines both running and walking until you can run a full 30 minutes without stopping. A full 30 minutes of running should get many people across the finish line of a 5K. So far I've moved up from 1 min. runs and 2 min. walks (1:2) to 5 min. runs and 1 min. walks (5:1). Each run/walk session is 30 minutes long, so in a 1:2 run/walk session I would repeat that 10 times until 30 minutes was up (1:2 10x's). In my last run I did a 5:1 5x's.

Why all this complicated timing? The reason is that it is important for a beginner not to start off too fast. If you try to do too much too fast you will probably just get burnt out and give up. A second reason is that rushing into a training program of any kind is more likely to lead to injury, and that is the last thing I or anyone else wants to happen. Easing my way into running has been perfect for me. Each time I increase the time I spend running I know it is going to be tough to finish, but not so tough that I pass out or loose my lunch (or breakfast, or whatever). When I'm in those last 5 or 10 minutes, I have to continue to tell myself that I can finish. I know that pushing my physical limits just a little will make me stronger for the next run, and that helps keep me motivated.

Today is Monday March 15th, and I haven't run since Thursday March 11th. I had been planning on running today, but last night I played basketball at my church in a new pair of shoes. The end result was blisters on my heels, ankles and toes. I'd like to give those a day or two to heal before I head out again - when I do I'll make sure to write about it. Until then....

"If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it." -Priscilla Welch, who won the 1987 New York City Marathon at age 42

No comments:

Post a Comment